Thursday, September 29, 2011

Update: Washington Street and Somerville Ave Intersections

In May, I joined several of my colleagues on a site visit to two intersections in Somerville that posed a possible safety hazard to pedestrians due to the layout of the crosswalks and condition of the markings. During the site visit, I discussed the concerns that I had and the concerns that residents had expressed about the intersections with officials from MassHighway. I have learned that MassHighway has developed initial plans to signalize the crossings, a step that would significantly improve pedestrian safety.

Because these improvements are still only in the initial planning stages, I will be continuing to use this space to provide updates on the project as new developments are communicated to me in the weeks and months to come.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the update, Representative Toomey. As a matter of fact, I walked across that intersection today, on my way to the Union Square Smoke Shop.